Pseudogout - A different Type of Gout
Gout and pseudogout appear to the same condition on the surface with the symptoms being very similar. But the crystals that are forming and creating the pain and swelling are different for each.
- Pseudogout is another type of inflammatory arthritis marked by sudden pain, swelling, and inflammation of the joints.
- These painful events can last for days or weeks.
- Pseudogout commonly presents in older adults and most usually impacts the knees.
Pseudogout has a rapid start of pain, caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals, and usually affects the large joints of the arms and legs.
Pseudogout usually episodes the knee joints, as well as the ankles, hands, wrists, arm and shoulders. Symptoms of pseudogout include:
Edema (swelling) of the important joints, inflammation, warmth, severe joint pain
Causes of Pseudogout:
Calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate (CPPD) forms in the joint's cartilage, then crystalizes and also accumulates in the lining, or perhaps synovium of the joint, resulting in the pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Roughly 50% of people over the age of 85 have CPPD crystals in some of their joints but remain free of symptoms.
The medical name for pseudogout is calcium pyrophosphate deposition and it may cause the break down of cartilage at the joints.
Family members with pseudogout.
Hemochromatosis - excess iron storage space.
Overactive Parathyroid Gland.
Hypercalcemia (elevated calcium in the blood).
Failure of the Kidneys.
A Recent Surgical Procedure.
Injury to the joint parts.
Pseudogout can often be misdiagnosed as gout, as well as osteoarthritis or even rheumatoid arthritis. That is why testing is important to be able to distinguish between gout, pseudogout, and other arthritic conditions.
What is Gout and How do you Treat it Naturally? Here, you ll discover what gout is, what causes it, and, how to treat it naturally without the need for medications with there very unpleasant side effects.WHAT Will be GOUT And What causes IT?Gout is actually just one of more than 100 types...
Pseudogouts Diagnostic Tests Include:
Aspiration needle biopsy of synovial fluid.
X-rays: X-rays of your knee can reveal other conditions caused by CPPD crystals, such as crystal deposits in the joint cartilage (chondrocalcinosis) and joint damage.
Your doctor will determine the cause of joint pain and inflammation, such as infection, gout, injury, and rheumatoid arthritis.
The CPPD crystal deposits can result in damage to the shared structure. Damage can be caused by:
Treatment of Pseudogout:
- Treatment focuses on reduction of pain and swelling.
- However, treatment does not eliminate the CPPD crystals from the joints.
Ankle Pain Gout by NoMoreVitamins com
http://NoMoreVitamins.com - Have you ever wondered if there is another way to prevent ankle joint pain or any pain, naturally without a single pill or any ...
Taking anti-inflammatories to help reduce inflammation.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): Such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) and indomethacin (Indocin).
- Side effects can include stomach blood loss and kidney damage.
- Colchicine: If NSAID's are contraindicated then these can be used to help manage pseudogout.
- Possible side effects are nausea, pains in the stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding.
- Joint aspiration and injection: For relief of pain and pressure in the joint, by getting rid of some of the fluid present in the affected joint.
- An injection of corticosteroids reduces inflammation and a great anaesthetic to in the short term numb your joint.
Low doses of colchicine are effective in preventing future attacks of pseudogout, as future attacks will always be a possibility. Preventing all of them will have better success by following your surgeon's orders and taking your medications because prescribed to prevent issues and prevent future attacks.
Jared Wright could be the marketing manager of Clivir.com - A free learning community site where you can learn more about gout. You can follow the links to find more related articles such as gout safe food diet and gout ankle symptoms pictures.