Arthritis Drugs - Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?
Research is always ongoing into new and better medications for arthritis which is a very good thing. But where is all this leading us?
- Of course we need effective pain medication for arthritis to enable sufferers to live normal lives.
- But are all these expensive medications controlling the disease or simply masking the symptoms?
Here's a "quick and dirty" lowdown on what's currently available both "over the counter" (OTC) as well as on prescription only.
For Mild Situations of Arthritis -
Some milder cases of arthritis never make it into the doctor's surgery. Indeed the sufferer might not even be aware that they are suffering from arthritis at all. They may be feeling a few aches and pains" that they put down to senior years or even the cold damp weather.
- That may be all well and good, but even OTC medications can be dangerous if taken over a long period of time.
- The idea of more is actually better" can also happen when the pain gradually becomes worse.
- This can lead to serious side effects.
- OTC medications include aspirin as well as ibuprofen.
- These medications can cause intestinal bleeding and kidney damage in large doses.
- Aspirin also ruins vitamin C in the body leading to lower immunity.
For More Advanced Arthritis-
By this stage most people have consulted their doctor. Prescription medication at this stage normally consists of theNonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDS. These do target the pain and swelling of osteoarthritis symptoms but have a range of side effects including stomach upset, abdominal pain, and ulcers.
People with high blood pressure, those with kidney difficulties and especially people who have heart problems are especially at risk with NSAIDS.
- Enter the COX-2 inhibitors.
- These have been designed for people whose stomach problems can not put up with the aforementioned.
- Unfortunately the risks remain for chest pain, heart attack and stroke victims.
Causes of Back Pain Whatever the nature of the back pain, it is generally caused by muscle imbalance.What is muscle imbalance?You may have noticed that sometimes the muscles in your one leg are tighter, stronger or weaker than the opposing muscles in the other...
Gout Home Remedies - How to cure Gout at home
Using these natural home remedies you can get rid of Gout. Read more at http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-gout.html ...
For Advanced Arthritis-
For those suffering extreme pain and swelling the medical profession brings out the heavy artillery - Corticosteroids. These kinds of drugs contain manufactured cortisone and can be injected directly into the affected joints or taken orally.
- Long term use of these can produce sleep problems, weight gain, osteoporosis and loss of immunity.
- Conveniently obtainable to those for which nothing else seems to work are Biologic Response ModifiersBiologics).
- Biologics are derived from live sources, plants and animals and are not really manufactured chemically.
- They are mainly used for sufferers of Rheumatoid Arthritis and are given intravenously or perhaps by injection.
- They cannot be used tablet form.
- Biologics suppress the immune system that leaves people prone to infections.
- They are also very expensive and can't be stored without freezing.
Also available mainly to Rheumatoid Arthritis patients areDisease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDS) These work by stopping the immune system from attacking the joints. DMARDS may take up to three months to reduce symptoms nevertheless they do help to stop joint damage even though they cannot repair any prior damage.
- Although these drugs are a boon to many, they work mainly at hiding the symptoms of arthritis and can not reverse the damage already caused.
- Most people thinks this is impossible, it isn't!
Natural treatments for arthritis are readily available and can significantly stop some cases of arthritis, relieve pain and inflammation and in some cases, reverse joint damage.
Definitely Worth a Try!
About the author:Find out about the healthy way to treat osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout and fibromylagia. Visit: http://www.natural-arthritis-medication.com and sign up for our part course. Wendy Owen will be a health investigator and author.